Friday, June 24, 2005

Silly, Stupid, Foolish Me.

... The official time is 2:02 am. (Standard Singapore Time)

Normal sane people would be asleep, except for those late owls and those who hate the sun.

My class starts at 9 am, and I have to get up by 7 am.

Rockin'... and why do I hear my laptop's hard disk cranking up again? *Looks like another trip down to MeL's A&E Department again...*

Well.. Been very "busy" recently.. staying out until late into the evening/night... And during these late trips, along with some other... "sources" which i have came upon recently.. I realised how much trouble we have adapting to this cold harsh world..

It seems to me, that once people move on from their Secondary education, things... change. Better for some, worse for most. For me personally, it seems that I am able to concentrate better (in terms of school work and projects). Mulling over this for some time, I realised that it was due to the fact that the "usual" stringent rules (as applied in most government schools) does not apply. *Could be due to the fact that I'm a rebel at heart, and I tend to rebel against everything and anything.. =D*

So what's worse? Seems to be the same for everybody I know: People. (And the relationship that you build with them.)

In Secondary School, at least you were "spoon-fed" and kept under a big roof and held together as a "happy, big family".

Quite the contrary in Polytechnics.

In there, you're treated like a "real" adult. And they meant what they said. W00t!! That means freedom for us!! Yay!!

Well wake up, teenagers. (Do I sound old? o.O) You're right about the "freedom" part. But what about the cost that comes with it?

Remember that there is no free lunch in this world.

You guys watch "Survivor"? To me, it's basically the same, but without all the fanciful "alliances", "tribal councils" and the oh-so-damn-great "immunity". There is no "immunity". There is only the fight for survival.

Yes. I make it sound bad. But others than this, I have absolutely no idea how to describe what I'm seeing/feeling. 'Tis sad. Young people, behaving in such a way..

----------------------------------------------------

Ok. I'm sure that up to this part you guys are either confused and wondering what the heck I'm talking about, or you understand what I mean. So I'll explain, to the best of my ability (and for those who don't understand) :

It is the way we humans give in to our natural instincts (as the same way animals do). Which instinct? The instinct for self-survival.

Self-survival, in our current society, is very different from the "self-survival" you guys see in "Survivor". We do not go around killing rodents, gathering coconuts/dirty water, fish, build shelters, etc, to survive. That is survival in its definitive sense.

I'm talking about surviving in a place where competition drives everyone crazy, where to survive you have to "outwit, outplay and outlast" your competition. *In stuff like school work, projects, CCAs, etc*

I'm talking about the famous "Rat Race" here.

You may say: "What the heck?! You're stupid! Why the heck do you make competiting with one another in academic performance sound so bad?"

True. It sounds silly even to me, but in post-Secondary School, things are just THAT silly. And besides, it isn't just the competition in academic matters that's causing this. It's also because of the power that's granted to all these "young adults". That's right. The power we call "freedom".

Definition of freedom (as taken from www.dictionary.com):

1. The condition of being free from restraints.
2. Liberty of the person from slavery, detention or oppression.
3. a) Political independence.
b) Civil liberty.
4. Exemption from an unpleasant or onerous condition.
5. The capacity to exercise choice; free will.
6. Ease or facility of movement.
7. Frankness or boldness; lack of modesty or reserve.
8. a) Right to unrestricted use.
b) Right to privileges.
9. A right or the power to engage in certain actions without control or interference.

For young teenagers, Point 5, the capacity to exercise choice, is indeed very tempting. However, along with that comes Points 8 and 9, the right/ability to have unrestricted access, privilege and power.

Are teenagers truly capable of handling that?

----------------------------------------------------

In a way, you could say that these Polytechnics would serve as a great training ground for young people to "get used" to the society that they are living in today. Which is why Poly-graduates/Diploma holders are able to adapt and integrate into society easily.. Because there isn't a very big environmental change for them.

I dare not speak for JC students. I am not one and thus I shall not comment on their lives. Best of luck to them when they move on to their University studies and then out into the world.

For those yet to leave Secondary education: Be prepared. =P You have no "true" allies, even if they are your "best friends".

----------------------------------------------------

Yep. Sounds all negative.... The Horror!!! Ack! *Chokes to death on negativity*

No comments: