Monday, April 04, 2011

Being Nice

FYI This is the 101th post! 100th place goes to "Logbook"! (Like, wow, of all topics =.=')

Looking back, its been a longgggggggg time since this blog was started, back during the crazed days when blogs were hip and you were like the alien if you didn't have one.

Time flies.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Went out of my way to get stuff for Alvin's brother today. He lost his phone (along with his SIM card, naturally) overseas, and needed a replacement. Feeling like doing something nice today, I decided to make a trip down to the shopping centres when I could be heading straight home and be comfortably bathed, fed and chilling in front of my computer now.

Instead, here I am, all sweaty from all the walking and having gotten nothing done, being peeved and deciding to blog about the meaningless things I do.

So here's what happened: Went down to JP, thinking: OK, a quick trip, just a couple of minutes and I can get my ass home and chill/nap (2 hour sleep routines can be a killer in the office, especially after lunch). Ended up waiting at the end of a relatively short queue for a couple, a middle-aged lady and a bunch of Indo/Filipino-maids (Hey, aren't they supposed to be in camp carrying bags on a weekday night!?!?!).

Well, no big deal, I plugged in my Mp3 and waited.

And waited.

And waited.

And waited for about 20 minutes and the queue was. Just. Stuck. There.

Talk about efficiency for god's sake.

Turned out the Samsung sales-dude, deciding that he was done idling about the shop, came forward to ask if he could assist. Assist he did, by telling me that he was unable to help me get the SIM card as they were just the official distributor shop and I had to go elsewhere, nearest being IMM and Westmall.

Yay. And the damned operator on the phone yesterday said ANY shops.

OK, having wasted 20 minutes of my life standing behind a couple watching the guy scratch his butt every 10 seconds or so, I decided to screw this and head home.

Then suddenly a Halo descended upon me and then there was Light. I felt a warm feeling passing through me and Oh the holy...

Wait wait wait. Wrong scene.

OK, so I decided to be a nice guy thinking: "goddamn must be crap being unable to use your phone and the next time I could get him the card is god knows when". What happened next was I wasted an hour of my life travelling from JP -> Westmall then back to Lakeside just to get a dumb SIM card. For which I had to wait another 20 minutes for.

All just so that I could do something nice.

Sure, Alvin's dad (who collected the SIM card from me) was appreciative and everything, but that wasn't the point.

What for am I being so nice for? Especially when I had to go out of my way and inconvenience myself to do shit for others and not get a single bit of reward in return. Though I didn't do it for a reward, I wonder why I do it? My parents never taught me to do good and be a goody-two-shoes, neither did they teach me to play by the rules, but yet I just do. Why?

I'll probably never understand this part of myself.

Especially when being nice doesn't pay. At. All. Instead, all the assholes and jerks get all the fun and joy while us nice guys clean up after.

I'll admit, I'm jealous. Being a nasty asshole and getting everything your way without having to work for it or care about the consequences is such a great deal. Why not? Fuck the world, live by your rules and let everyone else burn.

And yet.....








Sigh.

No comments: